Located at 190 Maxwell Road in Canal, NB (approx. 10 minutes north of the Town of St. George), Canal Beach is popular for locals and visitors to our area. The sand has a pinkish color to it owing to the area being rich in red/pink granite. The waters of the Lake Utopia offer a refreshing place to cool off while not being too cold. Canal Beach offers a playground, changing rooms and a wash closet (porta-potty/outhouse). The seasonal canteen can offer snacks and drinks. The nearby public boat ramp offers a spot for boaters to put their boats into Lake Utopia. You may not find much mention of Canal Beach in tourism brochures as it is one of the area’s best keep secrets.
Please be advised that the beach is unsupervised (swim at your own risk).
Monday to Friday – 9:00am to 9:00pm
Saturday & Sunday – 10:00am to 9:00pm
Please note that the gate is opened/closed (locked) each day outside of the hours of operation. Any vehicle inside of the gate at the time of gate closure will remain there until the gate is open the following day. The beach opens for the season on the third Saturday of June and closed the second third Monday of September.
• NO Glass or Breakable Items
• NO Overnight Camping or Parking
• NO Littering / Please use Garbage Bins
• NO Lifeguard on Duty / Use at Own Risk
• Use of Alcohol, Tobacco, and/or Cannabis is Prohibited
• Dogs must be Leashed / Clean Up after Your Pet
• NO Fires Allowed
• Emergency – Call 9-1-1
• It is not recommended that you swallow the water.
• It is not recommended that you swim with open soars or wounds.
• After swimming, wash your hands before eating.
The canteen is currently closed.
Canal Beach is managed by the Town of St. George, in partnership with JD Irving Ltd.
For information about blue-green algae at Canal Beach/Lake Utopia visit gnb.ca/algae.